Saturday, April 30, 2011

I heart Kindle

Never, ever thought I would want one. I treated myself to a Kindle a couple months ago (justified by buying my little guy a Flip camera too). I am a voracious reader, and love books. Ordering books, going to the library, shopping for books and finding gems. But I am totally addicted to my Kindle. Sure, it's not a satisfying as reading a good old fashioned paperback, the lovely musty book smell of old books, the hours spent browsing bookstores, but to be able to have so much reading material available inside one handheld computer thingy is very attractive.

Years ago, in college, in History of The English Language class our professor told us that books will soon be a thing of the past and there will be computerized versions. I was horrified! I thought it totally signaled the downfall of civilization. But now here we are. It's not bad. I would never, ever give up my hardbacks or paperbacks, but a Kindle, or any other "reading device" is essential to one's library now. Just consider it an extension of your collection.

Some of my favorite all time bookstores in NYC.

 East Village Books & Records

 St. Marks Bookshop

 The Strand

Shakespeare and Company.

Books saved my life. They got me through those awful high school years, enlightened me in college, kept me company in cars, airplanes, subways and buses. Reading a book in the hot sun on a beach is about as good as it gets. And years ago, when I lost my job and couldn't pay rent I looked around my belongings and thought "what do I have of value". Boxes and boxes, shelve upon shelve of books. So I took an inventory, figured out prices, and set up a table on Bedford Ave in Brooklyn and joined the other booksellers to sell my wares. I made about 50-70 bucks a day and was able to pay my rent. It was so wonderful to hang out in all weather, hawking and haggling.

I love books, and although an electronic reader will never replace the experience of buying books, finding books, exchanging books, I feel it is a very nice, modern extension of your personal library.

No comments:

Post a Comment